Monday, October 18, 2010

first day of work

Sydney's desal, located on the south shore of Botany Bay, is pristine and absolutely enormous. After donning hard hats, safety goggles and high-vis vests, the manager of the plant took me on a whirlwind tour of the myriad buildings housing the intake, pretreatment, filtration, RO, mineralization and storage facilities necessary to make the Tasman sea meet the tap. In the arto (how aussies say afternoon) I spent a solid 5 hours reading through the unit processing guide, and even then I only got through two and a half of 6 sections. While walking to the lunchroom I couldn't help but notice a poster pinned up on a bulletin board that succinctly names, displays and describes the seven poisonous snakes known to reside in the area. At least I have the comfort of knowing that if I look down and see a 'death adder' I'm going to die before it even gets a chance to bite me. When I got back from work I went for a walk along the beach and met a border collie that looked EXACTLY like my dog barkley. I knew it was going to be a good night

2 comments:

  1. you had to include the part about 7 deadly snakes? you'only did it because you know you'll get a rise out of your poor mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hunter,

    it's ARVO not Arto (AFTERNOON IN OZ)...GET IT RIGHT MATE!

    ReplyDelete