Saturday, November 13, 2010

gypsy liquidation festival

I went to the Newtown Festival today the sydney suburb of the same name. It's set up in the town park, with little vendor tents lined up along walkways selling everything from posters to jewelry to soap made from goat milk. I politely informed the woman working at the soap station that trying to sell soap at this place would be like trying to sell american flags in islambad. She just sat there looking remiss. It was HOT at this place, easily 96 degrees in the shade; real hot, in thr shade. Anyway I've literally never seen more gypsy drifter types in one place, I sensed something was amiss. When I noticed the entire festival area - probably a half dozen acres - was fenced off, I panicked. The government was obviously going to lock the gates, round everyone up and do some cleansing- and not the kind done with goat soap. I made it out just in time. I wouldn't be too upset if this were true, not because I'm prejudiced against gypsies, but because of the second largest demographic present at the festival: yankees 'fans.' I say 'fans' because even though I saw probably 25 yankees hats at this place, I doubt that even a few of them follow the yankees in any way. Their team choice didn't surprise me too much because - there's only one way to say this - they looked like dirtbags. At this point I had an epiphany. As a lifelong sox fan I have always wondered: are they dirtbags because they're yankees fans, or are they yankees fans because they're dirtbags. The former reasoning is a little subjective, esp cause I'm a sox fan. But the latter logic is a little more compelling. With the mlb on the other side of the planet, these people have very little reason to favor one team over another, and even when they do choose a team and don their logo, their knowledge is threadbare at best. I know because I've asked. Couple this fact with the generally slovenly, deadbeat appearance and manner of the australian yankees-hat-wearing rabble, and it stands to reason that these people are yankees fans because they are dirtbags. With no reason to choose one team over another, they gravitate towards the franchise that best emulates their aura and way of life. For that reason, I'd much rather see yankees hats on these people than sox hats. Fine by me. But never try to act like the sox have as heinous a global reputation as the yankees. The lesson endeth here.

No comments:

Post a Comment