Monday, November 8, 2010

Royal National Park

On the way back from Wollongong this afternoon I decided, on a screeching three-lane crossing brake- slamming whim, to go to Royal National park. A friend back home suggested I check it out, specifically a place called Burning Palms, a hidden beach on the east side of the park.

I asked the lady at the ticket kiosk how to get to Garie Beach "Straight ahead 18 kilometers." Apparently this park is huge. So finally i got to the car lot and set off down the trail labeled Burning Palms wearing flipflops, a bathing suit and a 'singlet.'  In a few seconds I was walking through what Aussies refer to as 'the bush.' I was expecting a short hike, but after twenty minutes the trail turned pretty steep and treacherous. Flip flops were a bad choice. The only couple i passed were decked out in hiking gear, probably laughing at me as i walked by looking like a tourist who just made a real bad decision.

Though my biggest concern on this hike wasn't falling down into some precipice, it was snakes. I was so preoccupied with scanning the trail for any signs of snakes that I probably could have walked down a wrong trail, but luckily have an excellent internal -and moral- compass.  I finally broke through the bush and onto a ridge that looked just like something out of Lost, with Burning Palms to the south and Era Beach to the North. I bumped into two guys who suggested i head down to Era beach, which did not disappoint. It was easily the most beautiful beach i've ever seen, white-ish sand about three hundred meters long, bounded by cliffs on either side. I went swimming for a bit, but it looked like there was a storm moving in from the south so I hustled out of there.

On the way back I got rattled. The storm was moving in absurdly fast, and a light drizzle turned the trails into a muck that was impossible to walk in with flip flops. I kept telling myself - the spirit shall overcome - and eventually made it back.

Era Beach



And good thing i GTF out of there. The weather turned absolutely horrendous; this is easily the worst storm ive seen in the last 5 years and it's still raging outside (much like sig nu's backyard).

Burning Palms

No comments:

Post a Comment